Saturday, July 31, 2010

Week Eleven: Social Institutions I: Religion

I think that our society really is secularizing. When I think about religions and people following them I think in theory they are great and important to everyone. You hear a lot of people say things like "Every man should have a religion" and things like that but I feel like while everyone is encouraged to follow no one actually does. I went to a Catholic school most of my life up until college and from when we started to when we graduated....people stopped going to church every Sunday and started to drift away. I notice with myself, that while I think I still believe and still go to church I don't always make it every Sunday and I tend to do the picking and choosing I know I shouldn't when it comes to following the way of the Church. I think many people do this not just myself, and while they subscribe to a certain religion they may not follow it so closely. But I think the same argument could be made for people of our past. I think that the kings and queens of history weren't so strict on religion either, and that maybe the secularizing is not so much a recent idea, maybe its just recently been more out in the open. But I do think that since countries like ours have freedom of religion, there is less thought put into keeping up with it. So secularizing has had an opportunity to flourish.

No comments:

Post a Comment