Sunday, June 27, 2010
Week Six: Changing Social Connections
I think that technology such as email and online social networks are great for easy networking and do help connect people who live far away from each other such as myself with my friend from high school who lives now in California. In other ways, I believe that technology can distance people from each other. When shooting an email to someone in a fast manner pleasantries are extricated, and small conversation is lost. A simple how have you been and what have you been up too is easily ignored when reading over an email and the answers to emails are shorter than the initial message. People loose face to face contact easily, and talk over the phone less reducing conversation to quick and easy texts. Also with phone technology so much more we find companies using automated answering services taking customer calls. Questions and answers are not so easily understood and communication is ultimately lost. Situations like this make me hate technology....and wonder if we would be better off without it.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I completely agree with you Emily! I find that much of the new technology takes away from the importance of face to face contact and conversations. Texting and automated answering services are so very impersonal.
ReplyDelete