Sunday, June 6, 2010
Week Three: Understanding how American Culture Looks to Outsiders
After watching the clip from YouTube with Hugh Laurie jokingly singing a tribute to America as a British comedy sketch-I think it's safe to say that Americans are seen as pretty shallow, or bland. He repeats "America" over and over again while the crowd laughs which I think is a way of saying Americans have a lot of nation pride, but don't have a lot they can say to back it up with. When he starts the second verse of "States" , I think its a way of a desperate attempt to find variety to promote the country. This ends in failure when all he can find to say is "states" over and over. The way that the clip just cuts him off at the end, gives a "who cares" kind of feeling. I think Americans end up looking pretty stupid in the end.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment